Details of judicial hanging to share
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  Details of judicial hanging to share

Page:  1 

I actually visited the black museum in England about twenty more years ago. I was fascinated by English judicial hanging. During this week I went 3 times and met an old lady accompanied by her grand daughter. We had tea together afterwards and she revealed she was a prison officer at Ruth Ellis’ execution.

This is what she told me

The wrist pinion must be cross wrist with a leather belt. This amount of arm movement is is less than somebody being handcuffed. This eliminates the need for a body belt.

Secondly she said that Ruth was supported either side by 2 female officers on wooden planks and the executioner’s assistant actually lifted her ankles and strapped the ankles together in a crossed position ! So in effect she was standing on one leg. This is what in English hangings there are 2 assistants either side. So once she is strapped she can just able balance herself upright. It also ensures a straight drop as well

Thirdly the hood she wore was quite thick to ensure when she breath there was visible movement. So after the drop, the executioner can see her breathing from above. Only when the hood stops moving they enter the lower level.

Fourthly there was a thick leather body belt ready at hand. If you imagine the prisoner is strapped cross wrist behind her back the natural reaction at the scaffold is to bend forward when she sees the execution room. This leather belt is to slip between the arms just above the elbow and stops her bending forward. I have actually tried this and it’s very effective.
Imagine one short belt with wrist crossed, one very tight Beth just above the elbow bringing the elbows together ....my shoulders were held back and one can hardly bend forward ...

Just thought you people like to share this knowledge first hand. These details I have never read anywhere else.

I really think the cool calm and calculate method of judicial hanging is the cruelest as compared to any other method.

I think for a women the thought of your body hanging for a period after the execution and being handled by a Male executioner is more traumatic than a male prisoner.

She also confirmed that Ruth Ellis was wearing prison trousers and not a dress when hanged

Wow...after all these years, the facts finally leak out!

Thank you for your (excellent) report.

Outstanding!

Slightly disappointed to learn that poor Ruth was wearing trousers when she was hanged. I had always visualised her slender legs twitching reflexively under her skirt after the drop

Yes, very sad they didn't allowed her to wear skirt or dress. I think it is a humiliation for feminine woman to be forbidded to wear proper feminine clothes last time and to be forced to wear men's clothes...

>Slightly disappointed to learn that poor Ruth was wearing trousers when she was hanged.

Well, you know the reason. They didn't want a repeat of the mess that Edith Thompson made...
You need to be logged in to view attachments.

I know, I know. But they could still have let her wear a skirt over reinforced underwear designed to keep her insides in - if you know what I mean

Indeed...I do know exactly what you mean.

To further clarify

I did ask about this very point.

She said she was on duty inside the execution room and was not involved in the “last watch”.

As far as she was aware Ruth Ellis did not have a choice because what she wore was prison issued and not her private clothing.

She also said prison issued clothing have no zips, no metallic buttons and nothing that could be turned into a weapon or ligature.

Again the handling of “the body” was performed by men without any female staff present. This was quite routine. She was actually told one of her request during the last few days was that her body should only be handled by female wardens. This was never even considered or passed to the governor’s office because there was no such provision at Holloway prison. Female wardens had no active roles in performing the execution.

This very point really troubled Ellis during her last days. Can you men see that from a women’s point of view ?

I have been back to the same museum a few years ago but they have changed the display. Less informative and many photos have gone.

I am a women so I really feel for Ellis during her finals days. She was more concern about decency and being handled by men after her execution. I would doubt any women would choose to be hanged ina dress or skirt.

Think straight guys

Noosewoman

Some of you might recognise me as noosewoman from DFN

I stopped posting there because my computer was infected by something twice

Can you folks recommend any other sites I should visit with like minded folks ?

"I am a women so I really feel for Ellis during her finals days. She was more concern about decency and being handled by men after her execution. I would doubt any women would choose to be hanged in a dress or skirt. "

The key word is "Choose". My view is that the condemned woman should be made to wear a skirt to increase the enjoyment of depraved spectators, male & female, like me.

Try Dolcettish & Deadskirts

If you haven't already done it, look for the video Pierrpont the last Hangman, It covers the career of the last Pierrepont.
rclast

As for me, I love both forcing to wear skirt or dress to eexcution and wearing it by will. The second option is very romantic: girl could not imagine to wear something other, because girls should be always feminine and nice, and wear pretty dresses.)

Quote by NoosewomanSome of you might recognise me as noosewoman from DFN

I stopped posting there because my computer was infected by something twice

Can you folks recommend any other sites I should visit with like minded folks ?

There is the Dark Spot Forum,for artwork,stories,etc.

https://thedarkspot.com/

You can try Motherless, it has some good stuff and doesn't affect my Malware service. DFN just harries the hell out of it, it every page I turn to just causes a flyer to pop up telling me "Danger" Here are a couple of hangings of a woman from Pierrpont the last hangman, I think at least two are supposed to be Ruth Ellis.

As about totally different scene: do you know, that pretty Clara Petacci was shoted without panties under her skirt, because she had not time to find them when the execution commanв came to her room that morning?

I can no see the above attached pictures in pieerpoint movie and any remakes are inacurrate

Why have two female wardens standing next to the hooded condem doing nothing holding onto a rope ?

Doesn’t make sense

Now if one adds that the condemned tied crossed ankles and barely standing on one leg with the 2 officers supporting on either side then it makes sense

Why did nobody queried this before ....

So the female officer will hold onto the rope with one hand and the prisoner’s elbow with the other with one officer on either side

It is just a movie, most do not pay real attention to the real details

I've finally found a 1080p version of the film.

This is the best available frame grab from the actual movie (as distinct from the production stills.)

POST MORTEM EXAMINATION

Name Ellis, Ruth Apparent Age 28 years.

At H. M. Prison, Holloway Date July 13 1955.

EXTERNAL EXAMINATION

How long dead

Well nourished
Evidence of proper care and attention.
Height 5ft.2ins. Weight 103 lbs.

DEEP IMPRESSIONS AROUND NECK from noose with a suspension point about 1 inch in front of the angle of the L. lower jaw.
Vital changes locally and in the tissues beneath as a consequence of sudden constriction.
No ecchymoses in the face, or indeed, elsewhere.
No marks of restraint.
1 hour.

INTERNAL EXAMINATION

Skull ... ... ...

Basic Meninges

Mouth, tongue,
Oesophagus ... ...

Larynx, Trachea, Lungs

Pericardium, Heart and blood vessels ... ...

Stomach and contents ...

Peritoneum
Intestines, etc. ...

Liver, and Gall bladder

Spleen.

Kidneys and Ureters
Bladder etc. ... ... ...

Generative organs

Fracture - dislocation of the spine at C2 with a 2 inch gap and transverse separation of the spinal cord at the same level.

Fracture of both wings of the Hyoid and R. wing of the Thyroid cartilage, larynx also fractured.

Air passages clear and lungs quite free from disease or other change. No engorgement. No asphyxial changes.

No organic changes. No petechiae or other evidence of organic change.

Small food residue, and odour of brandy. No disease.

Normal.

Terminal congestion only.

Normal.

Slight terminal congestion only.

Lower abdominal operation scar for ectopic pregnancy operation in L. tube, now healed.

No pregnancy.

Other remarks ...

Deceased was a healthy subject at the time of death.
Mark of suspension normally situated and injuries from judicial hanging - to the spinal column - such as must have caused instant death.

CAUSE OF DEATH ...

Injuries to the central nervous system
consequent upon judicial hanging.

Signed Keith Simpson
M. D. Lond.
146, Harley St. W. 1 and Guy's Hospital (Pathologist)
Registrar in Forensic Medicine London University

Don't know of any female executions in recent times in India, but https://themiscollection.com/set/Maappillai_Vanthachu almost follows the jail manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjs8rGw1s7dAhXuT98KHeKfCJkQFjAAegQIChAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbprd.nic.in%2FWriteReadData%2Fuserfiles%2Ffile%2F5230647148-Model%2520Prison%2520Manual.pdf&usg=AOvVaw25QKwsmcXEIVx4HV9z8rVf

Since there is quite a bit of interest in judicial hanging
Perhaps I will share a real scientific journal on discussion on actual findings on prisoners who has been executed by judicial hangings rather than fantasy postings

There is a lot to be learnt from this publications if you really look into the fine details of judicial hangings

Not erotic for some of you but factually accurate
Please ignore it if you are not interested and don’t criticise will silly comments

Wow! The jail manual from India is excellent! I like the part about the cap with a flap over the face - never seen that depicted before but it sounds hot!

If you google Japanese ww2 hanging execution
This design of cap was also used
Clearly this is a colonial thing. Some civil servant put it on paper and it was implemented across the empire

It's a shame knowing that she wasn't executed in a skirt. It's the best way for a woman to be executed (or a dress). But this is very interesting information.

I am fascinated by the unbelievable hardness of the prison staff when hanging, especially when English long drop.
But I am a bit too fast at English hanging, hardly suffocating noises, fidgeting, moaning, spastic twitching.

Skirts I like less, more such shirts, when in movies, representations of others. Gray, Black, Green, Orange, Brown, reaching to the thighs or long. Also likes light blue, brown, gray or other colored smock to button.

I myself like to use other clothes to hang, I do not want to mention any details here.
But in any case, the women have to wear shoes, which will not fall off even during long drop.
Arms, hands, feet Legs with steel shackles, leather straps tied, degrading hoods.

Quote by AdelaideEMIt's a shame knowing that she wasn't executed in a skirt. It's the best way for a woman to be executed (or a dress). But this is very interesting information.
Yes, it's shame and I think it is shame for her too - it was era when girls mostly wore dresses, esp. if they wanted to look best.

This was the garb for the condemned in Melbourne, dressed in coveralls, the white cap has a visor which is pulled down as the noose is adjusted, and the executioner is ready to pull the trap open. In the Old Melbourne Gaol the gallows was set up sort like a mezzanine.

I think they should have to go in stockinged feet........but thats just me I suppose

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > Details of judicial hanging to share

You need to be logged in to reply.