The most realistic hanging scene
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  The most realistic hanging scene

Page:  1 

Which are the best (and I mean the most realistic) hanging execution scenes in your collection? Fairly new to the website.

The massive hangings (all male, but females were hanged in the same way, sometimes along men) in "Shepherds and butchers"

The 1920s British gallowsroom hanging in "Five Little Pigs"

Hyper-realistic, and very intense.
You need to be logged in to view attachments.

And by the way I meant female hanging scenes.

Pierrpont is by far the most realistic, it is done in the British manner, after all he was the best hangman in the British history. He claims to never botched a hanging, and in the movie they are true to the Crown's drop method even to the knot (or loop) on the left side to snap the chin back. His scenes where he hung the Nazi War Criminals true to form, hurry them in, stand them on the trap, an assistant binding their knees and ankles while the hangman makes sure they are in the center of the trap and will not take their nose off on the trap's side as they fall. Done very fast and over quickly, making sure hood is on knot or loop in place, the assistant is off the trap and a quick pull into oblivion. I did hear of one over anxious hangman pulling the trap before the assistant had cleared the trap, and he fell down with the condemned hanging on for dear life. The sudden stop shook him off the condemned's body and he fell to the floor uninjured. The British were appalled at the botched American Hangings at Nuremberg, and brought Pierrpont over to do them quick and right.

Ah, rather depends which way you interpret 'realistic'.
Whereas others have gone for 'historical accuracy' or 'procedural correctness', as a film buff I'm really concentrating more on the cinematic technicalities.
I'm looking to be convinced I've just seen the deed actually done. Like a good magic trick, even though I know it was just a well staged dramatic stunt, I want to be left asking, "Now how the hell did they do that?"
In that context, at the current time 'Salem: The Stone Child' gets my vote.

https://themiscollection.com/set/Salem_-_The_Stone_Child

PS. I'm fairly certain I now know how this one worked.

>'historical accuracy' or 'procedural correctness'

There's a third category: emotional authenticity.

(That's why I like "Five Little Pigs")

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > The most realistic hanging scene

You need to be logged in to reply.