The Boleyns: A Scandalous Family
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  The Boleyns: A Scandalous Family

Page:  1 

This is a new docu/drama series that begins on BBC2 in the UK on Friday.

No doubt the really interesting and juicy stuff will be unveiled in Episode Three. But it looks as though all 3 programmes will be made immediately available on the BBC IPlayer after the broadcast of Episode One. Here's hoping.

I sincerely hope the vital execution scene is included AND it's a good portrayal. There has been a disappointing tendency and trend in recent documentaries featuring Anne Boleyn or Henry VIII's wives in general, to try and be A) arty and tasteful in their shooting of Anne Boleyn's demise, to the extent it might as well have not been featured at all; or, B) it simply isn't featured at all as a scene, but is referred to obliquely in the narrative.

Nope, nothing to see here.
The advance blurb is misleading, this is just a dramatised documentary, no way a docudrama in the accepted sense.
Consists primarily of 'talking heads', the various experts providing the narration, with intermittent acted scenes.
The execution is depicted by a rearview shot of the character walking out through a doorway to be lost in a dazzling white light,
accompanied by the voiceover "Anne went to her execution on the morning of blah, blah, blah".

Don't call us, we'll call you.
NEXT!!

You make a valuable point, Aristarchus. I had my suspicions beforehand, yet, nevertheless, the final effort seemed far more disappointing than even my low threshold pf pessimistic expectation deemed possible!

A load of sqeamish nonsense.

Look, TV and film producers, if you're going to devote a whole series to the fall and death of a major historical figure such as Anne Boleyn, you MUST portray , in detail , the demise of that figure. Particularly if you are committed to dramatising key events in that said figure's life. I mean, in the case of Anne Boleyn, what more iconic event in her life than - her death?

Such tardy historical illiteracy is merely lazy, justifying itself by pandering to the so called " sensitivities " of a modern audience.

Bottom line: any serious depiction of Anne Boleyn that commands respect, HAS to have an in depth feature of her execution.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > The Boleyns: A Scandalous Family

You need to be logged in to reply.