About account deletion
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  About account deletion

Page:  1 

"TC will not honor anymore requests for account deletion"

Noticed this in the disclaimer above the forum. Just wanted to point out that it's actually illegal to deny account deletion in the EU under GDPR. There are some exceptions, but as far as I can see this site's accounts don't fall into them (ex. if the accounts and the information within are involved in an ongoing legal ruling, if it's necessary for health and safety such as hospital records, etc).

I'm sure this isn't being done maliciously, and I don't want my own account deleted. I'm just saying that denying account deletion is literally a violation of EU law, and you could get in trouble for it.

https://gdpr.eu/right-to-be-forgotten/

I'm familiar with GDPR and I will reword the disclaimer. GDPR is more about protecting privacy and does not impede on archiving of data. Part of account deactivation is to pseudonymize a user's name and email so there's really no way to know who's data it is in the system. It is unlikely that the law would require a site to remove someone's posts on a forum as long as their identity is hidden. Some users have asked to remove PM data which is literally impossible since that data is in all PM participants' accounts. It would be very unethical to remove PMs from another account's inbox.

Either way, I been considering doing away with the forum since it's such a headache and costly to maintain.

>Either way, I been considering doing away with the forum
>since it's such a headache and costly to maintain.

I understand, but it has its uses, and I'd be sorry to see it go.

Quote by paulI'm familiar with GDPR and I will reword the disclaimer. GDPR is more about protecting privacy and does not impede on archiving of data. Part of account deactivation is to pseudonymize a user's name and email so there's really no way to know who's data it is in the system. It is unlikely that the law would require a site to remove someone's posts on a forum as long as their identity is hidden. Some users have asked to remove PM data which is literally impossible since that data is in all PM participants' accounts. It would be very unethical to remove PMs from another account's inbox.

Either way, I been considering doing away with the forum since it's such a headache and costly to maintain.

That's fair, personally I don't think there's a ton of use for the forum anyway. I don't really ever see interesting discussions forming here. It might actually be a good idea to get rid of it and replace it with a Discord server, it'll do everything that the forum did for free and in a much more immediate manner. I can create one if you'd like me to.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > About account deletion

You need to be logged in to reply.