Question about rehearsals for Tudor beheadings
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  Question about rehearsals for Tudor beheadings

Page:  1 

We have all heard the famous story of how Catherine Howard practised with the block the night before her execution. It's my thought that this might not have been so unusual or that at least an element of rehearsal or talking through would be needed for such an execution. With most styles of execution, the victim is dragged/pushed to the site, tied motionless and killed. The beheading of tudor era queens and nobles seems different from historical accounts.

-They gave speeches, so they must have been told that was allowed in order to prepare them.
-They were not tied or restrained, yet knew how to kneel and bare their necks- unless the executioners positioned them- yet this isn't mentioned in historical accounts.
-They reputedly gave forgiveness and some money to the headsman, again they must have been told this was expected.
-They were blindfolded by their servants, so they too must have been instructed to do this beforehand, and also presumably when to stand clear.
-Some accounts talk of the victim putting their arms wide as a signal for the headsman to strike, I doubt this was made up on the spot.

This would all require some preparation or at least talking through the proceedure in advance. What do you think?

I think in a lot of cases they would have witnessed beheadings before, which would have demonstrated the 'proper' way to proceed.

It's interesting to rehearse that kind of scene. Also for a movie. A girlfriend of mine did it.. You should try

I was told that the stretching out of the arms was used both as a signal to the executioner to strike and also to brace the neck in the hope that the axe would sever it with one blow. Some victims were clearly unsure of parts of the proceedure as Lady Jane Grey recoiled with shock when the executioner moved forward to remove her outer garments. Usually in movies it is ladies in waiting who are shown disrobing the prisoner but it seems it was actually the executioner that did it. Mary Queen of Scots said on the scaffold that she had never before been undressed in such company or by such helpers as the executioner's assistants removed her outer garments.
I love your execution photos btw Jean. Brilliant!

Thank you for your opinions on this. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > Question about rehearsals for Tudor beheadings

You need to be logged in to reply.