Exciting new Bristish Drama about to start production
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  Exciting new Bristish Drama about to start production

Page:  1 

I stumbled across this news story on the internet looking for something else. Maybe all the community already know of this but I can't see any previous posts since June 14 when it was announced to the press.
ITV1 have commissioned a 4 part series drama about Ruth Ellis set in 1955. It will be called Ruth. She will be played by 29 year old actress Lucy Boynton. Hopfully we'll get a proper full story this time which DAnce with a Stranger (movie 1985) failed to provide. The story is on the link attached. Due for broadcast next year. Sorry if by putting the link here I've not followed proper protocol for this site. Been waiting for a Ruth Ellis drama series for many many years - so good news.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12189939/Lucy-Boynton-cast-Ruth-Ellis-woman-hang-UK-gripping-new-ITV-drama.html

Well, with a four part series, I would expect them to show the hanging...
You need to be logged in to view attachments.

This does sound exciting.

Yes one would think they would have enough space in a 4 part series to cover the execution this time. On all other programmes about Ruth Ellis, they would either just show the trial, the abuse from Blakely, or see a caption at the end or just gloss over it in some way or other. They showed some of the execution in a couple of documentaries - but they were unrealistic and only partially covered. The only decent one is the one above of the 2 stills archie87 posted above from the Pierpoint 2005 movie. But this had no proper build up and was spoilt by the use of slow-motion. But until now it's been the best one of Ruth Ellis. Let's hope this time we get to see the climax we have been waiting for for so long.

>Let's hope this time we get to see the climax we have been waiting for for so long.

Yes, but I doubt we will.

The hanging of Ruth Ellis, like the beheading of Anne Boleyn,
is a memory stuck deeply in the subconscious of the English.

It's a very sensitive subject, and subject to censorship.

But perhaps they will get one thing right,
and put her in the black suit she wore
to court, when she was sentenced.

(These images are from Lucky 13)

I hadn't realised she wore a black suit for her trial. It looks quite a formal thing to wear. Maybe they would have got her to take her jacket off for the execution as it was carried out July - middle of summer - it could've been too hot to wear it. Let's hope they do it justice and don;t cut corners like they usually do on these things.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > Exciting new Bristish Drama about to start production

You need to be logged in to reply.