Odd question... you guys ever match up period dramas and execution scenes in your head?
Forum Home  >  Public : General  >  Odd question... you guys ever match up period dramas and execution scenes in your head?

Page:  1 

Hi,
This is something that I have definitely talked about in the past, but one thing I like to do is take a historical film or series and imagine the characters being executed (pretty much always be beheading) via whatever means are present in that work. Think of it as 'cut and pasting' from one scene to another. I also do it with works that have no execution scenes in them.
What I would like to ask you all is this: what period drama/historical scene would you spice up with an execution, and what other work would you import the 'equipment' from? Bonus points if you use works from the same decade. I'll give some examples:
The Duchess and the guillotine from either Affair of the Necklace (same decade), The Scarlet Pimpernel 1999 (one of the first on-screen depictions I remember) or Pirates of the Caribbean DMTNT (slight Keira Knightly connection).
Amadeus and the guillotine from either Tale of Two Cities 1989 or El Conte.
Stage Beauty and the axe/block from The Lady and the Highwayman
Romeo and Juliet (either 1968 or 2023) and the beheading from either Caravaggio 2007 or Beatrice Cenci 1969.

I would probably spice up what I like to call the early Steampunk period, where its like the 19th century France, but where certain things like the guillotine ( it turns out that was only one of its names ) its either automated, or something else that makes it further removed from the human element.

I don't want the work to be entirely about that, as that's empty calories. But beheadings that are automated, while originally intended as a form of mercy, evolving in a toxic direction where its lack of a human further alienates.

Its not uncommon for me to also bounce between a Cyberpunk setting and an early Steampunk period.

Quote by LWFlouisaI would probably spice up what I like to call the early Steampunk period, where its like the 19th century France, but where certain things like the guillotine ( it turns out that was only one of its names ) its either automated, or something else that makes it further removed from the human element.

I don't want the work to be entirely about that, as that's empty calories. But beheadings that are automated, while originally intended as a form of mercy, evolving in a toxic direction where its lack of a human further alienates.

Its not uncommon for me to also bounce between a Cyberpunk setting and an early Steampunk period.
Any particular works you would spice up? I can think of several Victorian/Edwardian films and series that could use a good guillotine scene.

Quote by LWFlouisaI would probably spice up what I like to call the early Steampunk period, where its like the 19th century France, but where certain things like the guillotine ( it turns out that was only one of its names ) its either automated, or something else that makes it further removed from the human element.

Here's a thought: the weird guillotine from Carnival Row. What period drama would you add that to? Personally I'd favour something with inaccurate 19th century costumes, maybe a Regency piece like Bridgerton, or perhaps something Victorian like Enola Holmes.

Hello all, I was revisiting some of my previous posts, and thought I'd give some more match-ups. And, as some other commenters have already done, I've given my reasoning for the particular match ups. Before you say anything, yes, I am aware of the obsession with beheading.
The Gilded Age and the guillotine from either Klic or Angels of Thermidor. A later 19th century setting, and a later-period guillotine seems like the best match. AofT may be French resolution, but the design is definitely 1870+.
Dangerous Liaisons (tv series) and the guillotine from The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982). Going by the clothing, DL 2022 is set in the 1770s, so a guillotine that lacks more developed features like a movable bascule would fit best. Alternatively, the one from Napoleon lacks a bascule at all, so that could also fit.
Marie Antoinette (2006) and the guillotine from Quills. What is there to say? The costumes are historically off and almost stereotyped, the Quills guillotine is missing both a moving bascule and an upper lunette. A perfect fit! Though the one from Miss Fishers' Murder Mysteries could also work, or Orphans of the Storm... I'm indecisive, don't judge me!
Maria Theresa/any of the recent Russian series on Catherine the Great or Elizabeth of Russia and the guillotine from Nell'anno del Signore. Both options are set earlier in the 18th century, so a chopper with an axe blade and no bascule fits best.
The Miniaturist and the block+axe from Cromwell or D'Artagnan's close shave in Three Musketeers (1993). 17th century setting, 17th century execution. What? I never said they had to be female execution scenes...
The Merchant of Venice (2004) and the sword beheading from The Tudors. To me, beheading methods really fall into two geographic areas: France, Spain and Italy are sword, everyone else is axe and block.
The Favourite and the axe+block from Babylon Berlin. A cross between the manual tools of earlier times, and the prostrate/lying down machines of the 18th century.
The Three Musketeers (2011) and the sword from The Other Boleyn Girl. They're French, what else would fit?

And, finally, there are the series that already have execution scenes, but which are still a bit lacking in the ones that matter. So, what if things (ie history) had gone a different way?
Becoming Elizabeth: what if Edward had gone the same way as his father and started ordering beheadings left and right? Elizabeth is a potential risk re claim to the throne, Mary is a Catholic, and he could have married Lady Jane only for her to not give him a son. Off with their heads!
The White Queen: it's the Wars of the Roses, things are in complete upheaval. A few political missteps and a bit of bad luck, any one of the noblewomen could have ended up on Tower Green.
Mary and George: is it just me, or is James I a temperamental lunatic who can't take criticism or betrayal? If George or Mary had put a foot wrong, or the Queen for that matter, they all could have faced the axe.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / General > Odd question... you guys ever match up period dramas and execution scenes in your head?

You need to be logged in to reply.