A couple of nice oldies
Forum Home  >  Public : Images  >  A couple of nice oldies

Page:  1 

A drawing can be much better than a photo....

You need to be logged in to view attachments.

That's an amazing drawing.

Is there any additional information about it? The source, or the name of the condemned, or even the year?

(I assume it dates from 1910 to 1925, or so.)

I found it:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/chilling-stories-women-who-were-13728303

Louie Calvert
Born: 1893, died June 24, 1926

Date of murders: July 1922 and March 1926
Number of victims: 2
Method: beating and/or strangulation before stealing their boots

Louie Calvert’s main disappointment in being caught and sentenced to death was that she never got the media attention she craved.

The 33-year-old married Arthur Calvert after living as his housekeeper in 7 Railway Place, Pottery Fields, Leeds, by convincing him that she was pregnant.

Knowing the baby bump would fail to materialise, she left for Dewsbury to supposedly give birth at her sister’s house.

Instead, she became housekeeper for Lily Waterhouse, 40, in Amberley Road while she planned to adopt an unwanted baby to hide her deceit.

Calvert soon began to steal from her landlady and after she confronted her over the thefts, Calvert beat her over the head and strangled her before stealing her boots.

The police found her back at Railway Place wearing the boots which were several sizes too big.

She was convicted by a jury after two days but told police she may be pregnant in the hope it would delay her execution.

Steve said: “She was hanged in 1926 during the great strike and there were hardly any newspapers printed so her trial and execution, unlike most other women hanged in the 20th century, went almost unnoticed.”

But even a petition for a reprieve that gained 3,000 signatures could not save her.

Steve added: “I think there was a certain amount of sympathy for females [who were to be executed], and there were more campaigns for reprieve than for men.”

In her condemned cell she confessed to murdering her former boss John Frobisher of Mercy Street, Leeds, in 1922, who was found floating in a canal with a fractured skull and without his boots.

I wonder if they took her shoes off on the scaffold that would have been fitting.....I think in my humble opinion if it was me on the gallows i would want to swing in my stockinged feet.

Fantastic images!

Another good old illustration:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/G3839T/the-hanging-of-mary-ansell-poisoner-date-1899-G3839T.jpg

Isn't that a great one? I've always liked the idea of strapping and noosing her within the prison then dropping her outside for all to see.

Love the way their skirts tied around legs! So modest people were in that ages! :)

Quote by SkirtsOnScaffoldLove the way their skirts tied around legs! So modest people were in that ages! :)

Quote by SkirtsOnScaffoldLove the way their skirts tied around legs! So modest people were in that ages! :)

I agree

I have this old drawing, It has been so long I have forgotten the origin, it might even be from here.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / Images > A couple of nice oldies

You need to be logged in to reply.