old hanging drawings
Forum Home  >  Public : Images  >  old hanging drawings

Page:  1 

I find this image particularly cruel for the second condemned who hears the whole process of execution
before knowing him in turn

You need to be logged in to view attachments.

Before its her turn. It is a double female hanging. Probably baby farmers in the UK. Balcony hanging as well. It is an amazing pic.

The double hanging is only an impression and is not accurate
The is a regulated time after the drop to leave the body
It is in the prison execution manual of the English home office. Between 1840 and 1930s this was described as the regulation hour
I spoke to a museum curator and she told me this was rarely observed due to many executions that did not go to plan !
In real life the body is left for much longer to ensure death
Soon this drawing if a single fallow was used in a double hanging it is inconceivable the next condemned will stand hooded for that period

If there is a double hanging it would have been carried out together

In most cases in the UK they would drop together. If there is a one at a time hanging, the whole prison seems to know, so one of the condemned would know something was up. When the Nazi War Criminals that were to be hung by the US time was up, they were not told. Even though they were supposed to be surprised the extra activity, vehicles arriving, and the demeanor of the guards alerted Herman Goering the first to be hanged that the time was up. He stated that he would gladly face a firing squad as a soldier. But when they condemned him to death by hanging he had other plans. When he figured it was about time, he picked up a cyanide capsule he had stashed for just an event, sat down on his bed. There was a death watch staring at him through a peep hole, and Herman held the capsule up for the guard to see, and inserted it in his mouth. He bit it and died within seconds on his bed.

See this one ?

This is very nice!

Old hanging engraving depicting decapitation !

1875 political cartoon (by Thomas Nast) with the State of Louisiana personified as a woman being noosed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/A_republican_form_of_government_and_no_domestic_violence.jpg

Quote by NoosewomanOld hanging engraving depicting decapitation !
This quote contained attachments.

While trying to find the case depicted here, I came across this unrelated image, which I've not seen before. I don't know if this one has been posted on the forum yet.
https://www.savannahnow.com/article/20141030/NEWS/310309723

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / Images > old hanging drawings

You need to be logged in to reply.