Serving time in Southeast Asia
Forum Home  >  Public : Images  >  Serving time in Southeast Asia

Page:  1 

Like many countries across Southeast Asia, Myanmar dishes out harsh sentences to drug related crimes. Even those caught in possession of a small amount of drugs for personal use would face long term prison sentence. The prisoner are imprisoned under very harsh conditions. Shackles are welded on to the ankles of these female prisoner and are not removed, even during illness and childbirth, until the sentence is served. New convicts are issued with a pair of worn flip-flop. Unfortunately, unlike their shackles, these crappy footwear never last long when doing hard labor. They break easily and the guards are stingy on giving new pairs. Most of the older women who have spent years in prison are in barefoot all the time.
You need to be logged in to view attachments.

Very good stuff, I already new most of it, the images were taken by a Chinese photographer.
In Southeast Asia they seem to love (like myself, but in my case just as a fantasy) that bare feet and leg irons thing.
In Thailand, for instance, look at that picture from a Thai prisons website, all inmates are barefoot and shackled!

Female prisoners in the Wa state(northern Myanmar)are forced to do labor work and wear shackles despite how venial their offenses are.

Their shackles look a bit homemade...l

Nice pictures. I love the way they support the chains with those bands around their calves. It allows them to walk without tripping. Also, they can work without holding a lift-cord. It probably reduces the rattling of the chain quite a bit so as to reduce their embarrassment.

Quote by PavelTheir shackles look a bit homemade...l

Crude but effective. I wonder how heavy these chains are.

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / Images > Serving time in Southeast Asia

You need to be logged in to reply.