Clothing for hanging execution
Forum Home  >  Public : Images  >  Clothing for hanging execution

Page:  1 

I have always found that the clothes worn by a condemned women somehow adds some depth to the hanging execution ceremony. We can assume a lot about her by what she is wearing. I have always had a very strong feeling about the clothing of the hanged women, almost as strong as the actual hanging itself. I have strong emotions attached to the clothes.
Anybody else have similar thoughts or feelings?

These are some of the different type of clothes I liked. I am not an European woman so I have very little about these clothes. Anybody can tell me something about these different type of clothes?
Which are the most elegant? The most simple? Most comfortable to wear for a hanging?
I would love some discussion on it.
You need to be logged in to view attachments.

More clothes that I like

it is a very interesting topic
I really love all the clothes you offer
especially the dresses with many petticoats that will dance around the hanger's legs
sometimes the executioner will attach these dresses to preserve the modesty of the condemned and that we cannot see under the skirts
often also the court imposed on the condemned person to be hanged "in shirt"
so the executioner dressed her like this over his robe
or undressed completely to leave him only the shirt

'condemned person to be hanged "in shirt"
so the executioner dressed her like this over his robe
or undressed completely to leave him only the shirt'

Very interesting. May I know more about this? What was meant by 'shirt'. No dress for the lady? Dressed as men? Among the photos which one is a shirt? Why were they sentenced like that. Shirt was worn under or over the dress?

usually the shirt is the first item of clothing
as an undergarment worn under dresses and skirts

over the women add a corset, one or more petticoats
a basket or later a crinoline

going to the death in a shirt and barefoot was a humiliation
to publicly confess his crimes kneeling on the steps of the cathedral
sometimes it was added "the rope around the neck"

here is a story in French (sorry) which tells the preparation of a condemned

on la fit asseoir pour la mettre dans l'état où elle devait être pour l'amende honorable. Sitôt que le bourreau (4) lui parla de mettre une chemise parce que l'arrêt portait qu'elle ferait l'amende honorable en chemise, sa pudeur fut alarmée, s'imaginant qu'il fallait la déshabiller pour cela; mais le bourreau la rassura, lui disant qu'on ne lui ôterait rien et qu'on mettrait seulement la chemise par-dessus ses habits. Il lui mit cette chemise, et comme il était d'un côté et son valet de l'autre, je ne pus pendant ce temps-là lui rien dire, elle me jeta seulement quelques œillades pour me marquer combien elle sentait ce qu'il y avait d'ignominieux en ce qui se faisait alors. Quand elle eut la chemise, qui me parut d'une toile assez belle, ni fine ni grosse, et qui l'enveloppait tout entière depuis le col où elle était attachée, jusqu'aux pieds, couvrant tous les habits,

another example

https://themiscollection.com/set/The_Hunchback_of_Notre_Dame_(1956)_execution_and_more

Thanks for explaining. And I used Google translate to read it. What an amazing description.
So I get it. It meant as a form of Humiliation and Repentance. But normally the wish of the condemned woman was taken into account, like not undressing her in public. So as long as she is wearing the shirt or chemise, the sentences of the law is being carried out. Does not matter if she is wearing it over a dress.

>We can assume a lot about her by what she is wearing.

Indeed. In the English gallowsroom of the 20th Century,
she was sometimes given the conservative suit she had
worn in the courtroom to receive her death sentence:

Examples:
https://themiscollection.com/set/Father_Brown_-_The_Jackdaw's_Revenge
https://themiscollection.com/set/Murder_Maps_-_Ruth_Ellis

The hanging of a proper lady is a strict and formal occasion...

Great fashion choices Archie

>Great fashion choices Archie

Thank you ;)

(You always did understand me, regarding that.)

I agree, not only is it in hanging, but to other executions too. I’ve always liked Mariana Pineda’s execution on the garrote. She wore a black tunic, I don’t understand why she is the only woman executed wearing a black tunic (correct me if I’m wrong)

Oh yes, that's great theme!
For me feminine clothes worn to execution are the very sensual trigger. I love old-fashioned dresses, long feminine skirts etc. Swishing petticoats, crinolines, nice pencil skirts and blouses, pretty peasant dresses are my favorites.
I live the very idea of just nice view of pretty dressed woman on death device, gallows or guillotine (it is great contrast: pretty dresses made for men's impression, and at the scaffold such a dressed lady should get death from man's hands). But also I love the idea of some special things about dresses on gallows:
1) the trousers girl (a soldier, a sportswoman, just a girl who preferred pants or even hates skirts) wearing dress or skirt for her execution, because of rule, tradition or the will of her boyfriend or husband, may be even the first time in her life. She feels herself unusual, with full spectre of feelings from incomfortablity to sexuality.
2) Feeling of last time dressing. She wearing petticoats and skirts, tying laces and ribbons - knowing that she will never unfast, untie and remove something.
3) Treachery behaviour of the dress - the thing that should preserve modesty and being the sign of femininity is flying up, entrapping legs etc
4) Urine spot on the hem
5) Disrespect to dress from the executioner: throwing the body in disordered dress to the pile of others, using petticoat to clean the scaffold etc
6) Using dress as a toy or trophy by the executioner.

Quote by Mike JoshuaI agree, not only is it in hanging, but to other executions too. I’ve always liked Mariana Pineda’s execution on the garrote. She wore a black tunic, I don’t understand why she is the only woman executed wearing a black tunic (correct me if I’m wrong)
This quote contained attachments.

Oh yes
this is applicable to all executions
like Joan of Arc, a long virginal white shirt on the stake
or Marie Antoinette strapped on the guillotine

SKS88 - It s very refreshing to find someone else who is able to appreciate the beauty that is added by the choice of outfit worn by someone attending their own execution. On so many of these websites it is all about being hanged naked which for me, simply does not do it

Quote by silkkimonoSKS88 - It s very refreshing to find someone else who is able to appreciate the beauty that is added by the choice of outfit worn by someone attending their own execution. On so many of these websites it is all about being hanged naked which for me, simply does not do it
I agree with you.

Quote by silkkimonoSKS88 - It s very refreshing to find someone else who is able to appreciate the beauty that is added by the choice of outfit worn by someone attending their own execution. On so many of these websites it is all about being hanged naked which for me, simply does not do it
I agree as well

Naked hangings are actually a turn off for me. The clothing she wears to her date with the gallows is what makes it so meaningful.

May be those of us with similar interests can make a discord group for it.

Quote by sks88

Naked hangings are actually a turn off for me. The clothing she wears to her date with the gallows is what makes it so meaningful.

Oh yes, nice idea for a special group!

Quote by SkirtsOnScaffold
Quote by sks88

Oh yes, nice idea for a special group!
count me in!

For mee are good scenes ore pictures, if the lady is well dressed in good old style long dresses or dressed in blouse and long skirt. The first time I realized it was, when I saw Cat Ballou preparing herself and waring a white dress for the hanging. For me is the clothing important. I am glad to find some who feel similar. I would be happy if you count me in the special group.

Let's create a Discord group then. Yayy

Page:  1 
Forum > Public / Images > Clothing for hanging execution

You need to be logged in to reply.